Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Year of Church Visitation – 2nd Quarter

tissington_church_window_1 There is a difference between going to a religious meeting and being a part of the Body of Christ. The first is about attendance and the second is about belonging. The former can become about performance where the latter is about relationship.

I am enjoying this project of visiting the local religious institutions in my neighborhood, but at its heart it is a relational endeavor for me not one that is driven by the calendar. Recently I’ve had some weekends that were full of family events and gatherings with friends that superseded my visitation schedule. While I’m thankful for this project and grateful for what I’m learning, I’m also glad to know where it fits in the priority of my life. My wife, children, and friends are not worth sacrificing for the sake of this blog. Also, the people in the places I’m visiting are worth more than just a quick nod as I rush by them to meet a deadline.

I was glad to see that as I took a few weeks off I really missed the church visitations. Although it is not always comfortable being the new guy, the benefits of getting to know and understand my neighbors are greater than the fears I face in these religious institutions.

As I start this 2nd quarter I’m going to begin with the church where I grew up. I have a lot of great memories here - 18 years of them, but it didn’t end well and it has been almost another 18 years since I’ve been back for a service.

Here we go!