Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 17 – Eckankar

Finding Value in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe

eckankarThe Eckankar Center that I visited wasn’t a large one and it wasn’t very easy to locate. I drove around the block a couple of times before I spied street numbers on the local merchants’ buildings that clued me in to my destination. I arrived a few minutes late and missed whatever opening greeting may have occurred. When I reached for the door handle a lady quietly turned it from the other side and motioned for me to enter. She whispered to me that they had just finished their opening chant and were now in quiet meditation. I attempted to make it to the back row of chairs in the next room without being any more of a disturbance to the force that I already had created.

I took the time of solitude to get centered myself. I hate being late, I hadn’t wanted to draw attention to myself, and I was right in the middle of a New Age meeting that I grew up being warned about. I felt frazzled. I reminded myself that I wasn’t here to check out the religion, I was here to find out more about my neighbors and see if I could find a common place of relating to them, perhaps even caring about them.

Harold_KlempI looked around my surroundings. Up on the wall was a picture of the current ECK Master by the name of Harold Klemp. He looks like Mr. Rogers, who I remember was very interested in his neighborhood as well. I don’t know what was going through the minds of the other participants during mediation, but I sat there inwardly singing “Let’s make the most of this beautiful day, Since we're together, we might as well say, Would you be mine? Could you be mine? Won't you be my neighbor?

At the end of the quiet the service coordinator led us in the “Creative Arts” portion of the meeting. She played a ukulele and we sang a simple song. If I understood it right it was to be directed to the Mahanta, a title to describe the highest state of God Consciousness on Earth. I couldn’t begin to picture Fred Rogers and his Land of Make-Believe as very spiritual, so I just focused on singing to Jesus.

We then broke into small groups where we spent a half hour discussing the topic for the day, “The Creative Power of the Soul.” Everyone in the group shared one thing or the other, but they didn’t go around in a circle and I didn’t feel pressured to share. I did ask some follow up questions to what people were sharing about their spiritual journeys. Three things stood out to me that I found of significant value.

  • One woman shared how the spiritual disciples she participates in Eckankar differ from what she grew up practicing. When I asked her for an example she explained that her prayer life used to be made up of petitions, of trying to speak to God. These days she does far more quieting herself so she can listen to God. I’ll be honest; I think she is on to something simple, yet important. In my religious circles we sure do a lot of talking during prayer, and though we discuss listening (which is sort of an oxymoron), I’ve very rarely ever experienced it modeled in a Christian setting.
  • Another man shared that when he wakes up each morning he immediately looks out the window and mediates for 20 minutes about the gift that this new day is. He says it sets the stage for him to anticipate and respond in healthier and positive ways than if he just jumps up and rushes headlong into life. It makes sense. When I sleep till the last possible minute and then caffeinate myself though my first several deadlines, the day can taste chaotic.
  • And together as a group we discussed how decision making is an amazingly creative process. It is easy enough to react to the circumstances around us like we are preprogrammed machines, but it is quite another process to realize that we have thousands of choices to make throughout the day. What if we learned to use these choices as opportunities to be guided by the Holy Spirit into life affirming behaviors and responses?

The discussion ended too soon for my liking and they went back to singing their “HU” which they believe to be an ancient name for God. They would only sing the syllable as they were breathing out and as their voices joined it was a beautiful sound. There is a sweetness about being together in harmony that wasn’t lost on me as I listened.

During the fellowship time after the service I explained to the group that I was getting to know my community and was appreciative of their hospitality and their openness to my visit. They didn’t pressure me to join, but did give me more materials so that I could understand them better. I left with a much better understanding of this group. I may not agree on some of their beliefs and visions, but I do respect the way they are trying to live, and I really do find some value in some of the spiritual disciples that they practice.

Have you ever considered adopting a spiritual discipline that isn’t traditionally a part of your religious background?