Sunday, January 2, 2011

Who Am I?

the_visitor I’ve decided to keep my identity under wraps on the blog during this project. For the same reason a food critic keeps their picture out of their newspaper reviews, I won’t purposely advertise my project to the congregations in my neighborhood. I prefer to be treated just like any other visitor.

However, while visiting these congregations I plan to go as myself. I will use my real name, provide a real telephone number (if requested) and the same with an actual mailing address. Although my project is on a need-to-know basis at this time, my interaction with these people at their meetings and any follow up will be genuine.

Although I may do a little research on the upcoming service that I will be attending, I don’t intend to dress up or play a part. I just want to go as me. This  means that some weeks I will easily blend into the crowd, as I will look and dress like most of the people in attendance. Other weeks I will stand out like a PC user at a Mac conference.

Since the title of the blog is “Who Are The Churches In Your Neighborhood,” I’ve been reminded of the famous Sesame Street song, “Who are the People in your Neighborhood?” Long time Sesame Street actor Bob McGrath would sing this song and then introduce the young viewers to a couple of puppets and their local professions. It is a catchy tune and I always liked Bob so I decided to use his name as my blog pseudonym. I hope to introduce my neighborhood to you with as much fun and grace as he always did.