Monday, January 3, 2011

What is my Background?

church protectors I identify myself strongly in the Christian community, having been raised in a Christian home and attended Christian churches and schools my whole life. I grew up in this same neighborhood that I’m participating in this study and have seen it grow and change over four decades.

Why I’m qualified

I’m an expert when it comes to church attendance. Since I can remember I’ve been to multiple services each weekend, supplemented by at least two church based, mid-week meetings. I’ve also worked in churches as either as a volunteer or paid, professional minister for close to two decades. My college degree specializes in Church Ministries.

Why I’m not qualified

Though I’m very experienced in my particular brand of Christianity and the various styles and sizes of churches I’ve attended and worked at through the years, I know very little about the denominations that I’ve not darkened their doors. And when it comes to other religions, most of what I “know” has been handed to me from other people’s opinions and assumptions. Very little is firsthand experience.

What do I expect to change?

I’m not seeking for a new location to worship or a new religion to practice. I’m not out to validate my own forms of following God, create a showdown in the heavenly realms, or try to prove that everyone who doesn’t believe exactly like I do is a heretic and belongs to a cult. I may not change anything or anyone but me. But that should be a good start. I do expect to relate to my community better at the end of this challenge.

Will I be critical?

Probably. I’ll be honest and write about the things that rub me the wrong way. At the same time, I’ll be asking myself why these things got under my skin.

I do not feel the need to be a protector or body guard for Jesus. Since he reserved his harshest words for those who were from his own background, I imagine I’ll do the same.

Am I John Lennon?

No, I can’t imagine the world without various forms of religion, but I am a dreamer. I do think Jesus is more popular than John, but I also think that Jesus knows all of John’s song lyrics by heart and is a huge fan.

Do I think tolerance is a virtue?

No, but respect is.

What else do you think is relevant about my background to this experiment?