Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Staying in the Closet

gay friendly church I planned to visit the Metropolitan Community Church this coming weekend.

There are several churches in my area that are rainbow friendly.

  • The United Church of Christ was the first denomination in our country to ordain an openly gay pastor.
  • One of the local, liberal Jewish synagogues welcomes LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender) people.
  • The Quakers recognize same-sex marriage even though there are laws in our country against it.
  • The Episcopal Church encourages members of sexual minorities to attend.
  • The Unitarian Church is open to everyone, even Jedi’s.

But the church I intended to visit this weekend, the Metropolitan, is the church that was founded for the purpose of meeting the spiritual needs of the LGBT community. Unfortunately their meeting time conflicts with a gathering I have with my extended family. If I show up late, I will get grilled as to where I was. If they find out I’ve been down at the Metropolitan the secret will be out. THEY WILL KNOW I’M VISITING CHURCHES.

I’ll put the Metropolitan thing off for another week because I’m just not ready to come out yet.