Sunday, April 24, 2011

Week 15 Preview – Jewish Orthodox

Tradition!

tevye There are two Jewish congregations in my neighborhood. I called the first to ask about attending this weekend. They have two services, a reformed service, where 75% is in Hebrew, and a contemporary service, which they thought would be easier for me, a visitor, to take in. I agreed to join them on a Friday night when they had their contemporary service, but this week I already had Friday evening plans. This left the even more traditional, Orthodox congregation as my religious outing for the week.

There may be enough Jewish people in my neighborhood for a couple of synagogues, but I don’t know any of them personally. Having grown up in the Christian church I know a lot of early Jewish history from the Old Testament, and having grown up in America I know a lot about recent Jewish history, their persecutions and struggles, but I’ve never visited the Holy Land or one of their places of worship. Much of what I know of their lifestyle (again) comes from the way that media represents them in TV shows and movies.

No, I don’t really know or understand Judaism but I’d like to learn more of their traditions. I’ve already memorized all of the songs from “Fiddler on the Roof.” If they play one of those during the worship time, I’ll sing as loud and as proud as Topol.

May the Lord protect and defend you.
May He always shield you from shame.
May you come to be
In Israel a shining name.