Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week 12 – Church of the Brethren

Who’s in Charge here Anyway?

Church_of_the_Brethren Most of the churches I’ve attended, even visited, in my life have been pastored by a personality. There is nothing wrong with the spokesman having some moxie; it helps make their messages memorable. The truth is, the identity of a church is usually established by those in control; those in control are usually those in out front; those out front are usually the ones leading the way. Imagine my surprise this week when it was the pastor who appeared to have more of a back seat.

When I arrived at the front door of the Church of the Brethren I was met by a kind and gregarious greeter. As we began to interact, I wondered if he wasn’t actually the man in charge. He sure talked like this was his church. He had me sign their church guestbook, gave me some documents about the church and denomination, and gave me a preview of what the service would be like. He explained the cookie communion they all enjoy in the fellowship hall of the church following the sermon and invited me to stay and stuff myself with sweet treats.

I began to suspect this gentleman could actually be the pastor until he introduced me to the man who would later preach that day. This pastor was out in the lobby hanging out with the people and didn’t seem very concerned that the service was scheduled to start in just a few short minutes. I’m more used to pastors gathering their thoughts, energy and composure before church begins, some not even coming out of their offices or green rooms before it is show time.

My greeter friend introduced me to an usher, who gave me the impression that this was his church. He fanned his hand over the pews and told me to sit wherever I’d feel most comfortable. Halfway back seemed to fit my mood so I staked a claim to a section of the room with some other kind looking folks. I could tell that they wanted to chat with me too, but since the music was starting they held back.

The Gospel quartet played a mini-concert, just setting the mood for the morning. The song and music style fit the congregation well and no one seemed rushed. When the band played a few minutes longer than what the printed schedule allotted for I wondered if they’d get a stern look from the pastor. He was sitting patiently on the pew in front of me though, and he didn’t seem concerned in the least.

During the greeting time the people really made me feel at home. They told me about their church history and explained some of the ways the Brethren churches are different from other congregations. I began to understand that these people really play an important role in their church, their districts, and in their national gatherings. In contrast to the COGOP that I attended last week where the denomination authorities install and remove pastors without the input of the local congregation, in the COTB the pastors actually serve at the request of the local people. It’s their church.

The pastor still didn’t move to the stage after the greetings. Someone else stood in the pulpit and opened up the front microphone for testimonies, announcements and prayers. I couldn’t believe that they didn’t realize how dangerous this could be. I’ve learned it is much safer to hold the microphone in front of someone’s when they are sharing in a service so that the amplified power doesn’t go to their heads and that they don’t take too much of the pastor’s precious time. I’ve learned from some of the best personalities out there how to stay in control of the stage. Yet the pastor still sitting in the pew in front of me didn’t even fidget.

It did get out of hand—there were announcements that never would have made it past the chosen three in my church—even one for the rock hounds in the group. If it was someone’s birthday week they took their time up front to receive the blessings from others and then gave the blessing back by putting a special offering in the offering vase behind them. And if someone in the room had a prayer request they shared it from the front and then they prayed. After. Each. One. It was beautiful, meaningful and anything but scripted. It was their church.

The pastor finally did get his time in the order of the service, and he brought a thoughtful message for the church to prayerfully consider and apply. What it lacked was vision—by that I mean that I noticed the absence of the pastor trying to sell me on a program, a direction, or a ministry to sign up for. It was really refreshing! Those items can be important for a congregation, and I’m sure they exist somewhere in the COTB too, but interestingly enough, not during their gatherings for worship.

I met a lot of people on Sunday and they all were very gracious hosts. I could sense that they didn’t really have usher training, greeter meetings, and cookie signups for the new comers’ follow up. Instead they all acted as if this church was their home.

I don’t really expect, in just one neighborhood visit, to be able to nail down what a local congregation believes, but I’m amazed just how much of this church’s philosophy I’ve already experienced because of how they behaved. Here are four statements from a brochure on the COTB.

  • Has a democratic congregation structure with widespread participation for each participant.
  • Seeks to be a body which gives more attention to developing deep relationships with Christ Jesus and one another than to narrow doctrine or traditional structures.
  • Practices the ministry of every believer.
  • Know that ALL are welcome here.

I could tell, Church of the Brethren, I could tell.

(And the cookies were delicious!)